Thursday, June 9, 2011
Lamingtons are essentially Aussie icons served at morning and afternoon tea time. I fell in love with the coconut covered chocolatey morsels at first bite. How can anything with chocolate not be good???
A Sponge/ White Cake
Desicated Coconut Flakes
For the Cake, I used -
2 cups Self Raising Flour
3/4 cup Raw Sugar - powdered
1.5 teaspoons Baking Powder
1 cup Soy/ Rice Milk, at room temperature
4 - 5 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C and, grease a round/ square 8 inch cake tin.
2. Sift together all the dry ingredients - flour, sugar & baking powder into a large mixing bowl.
3. Make a well in the center and add in, the melted Nuttelex, vegetable oil & Soy milk.
4. Mix thoroughly for atleast 5 minutes by hand. I used the whisk attachment on my mixer for 3 -4 minutes.
5. Pour the batter into the greased pan.
6. Bake at 175 degrees C for 20 to 25 minutes. Check with a skewer inserted in the center to check if done.
7. Remove from oven and cool completely. In the mean time cut the Cake into squares or cubes and keep a flat plate ready with lots of Coconut Flakes.
8. Mix 1/2 cup Of Cocoa, 1 Cup Powdered Sugar with 5 to 6 Tablespoons of warm water to make a thick but runny chocolate paste.
9. Use a fork to coat the cake pieces with the chocolate mixture.
10. Roll them next in the coconut flakes till well covered and then, set them on to dry on a flat surface.