Sunday, June 5, 2011
Tandoori Aloo Parathas - June Recipe Swap
The colder the weather gets, the heartier and warmer my food seems to get. The lovely Christina, of the http://www.burwellgeneralstore.com/ came up with a delicious potato donut recipe swap idea this month.
I have made Tandoori Aloo Parathas, which are essentially flatbreads made with pizza dough stuffed with a spicy and filling potato mixture and barbequed. They are eaten hot off the BBQ plate spread with lots of Nuttelex, with a Tomato - Red Onion salad and green pepper pickle.
Read about our kitchen escapades and brainstorming by visiting them all - Dennis, Toni, Sabrina, Lora, Lindsay, Mary, Crissy and Lauren, Pola, Jamie, Claire, Shari, Joy, Monique, Linda, Tricia and, a warm welcome to the new ones this month Rachel, Merry-Jennifer, Alli & Katy.
The dough recipe -
300 ml Warm Water
3 Cups Strong Bread Flour
1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
1 Teaspoon Instant Yeast
2 Teaspoons Raw Sugar
For the Potato mixture, we need,
4 Boiled Potatoes
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon Paprika
1 teaspoon Dry Mango Powder
1 teaspoon Dry Coriander Powder
1 teaspoon Roasted Cumin Powder
1 teaspoon Carom Seeds
1 teaspoon Minced Garlic
1. Knead using a machine with the dough hook or, by hand till a smooth dough is formed.
2. Cover and rest in a warm area for 45 minutes.
3. Knead again and push the dough down till all the air is excluded.
4. Make small rounds and roll out after dusting with dry flour.
5. Let the rolled out bread rest for 10 - 15 minutes before cooking for really fluffy and melt - in - your - mouth bread
1. Mix all the ingedients except the Carom seeds, together with a potato masher and mash, till smooth. Add the Carom seeds now and then mix to distribute uniformly.
2. Take 1 spoon on the potato mixture and place it in the center of the rolled out dough.
3. Fold the edges over to seal the mixture in and roll gently into a round.
4. Dust with dry flour and roll out gently to get an even thickness all around.
5. Carefully place on the heated BBQ plate. Cook on both sides till brown spots appear.
Drizzle with olive oil or herb flavoured oil before serving.